Cockroaches are irritating creatures in the home especially in the kitchen and they are one of the most common pests that can be found in homes, restaurants, schools and grocery stores.
Cockroaches are dirty creatures that you do not want crawling all of the places in your kitchen, they can cause allergies and illness, they are also one of the eldest pests that signify a potential risk to human health, they can easily pollute food by spreading bacteria’s and those with sensitive allergic reaction may experience a mild allergic reaction when exposed to the dead bodies, discarded skin and droppings of roaches.
The kitchen is one of the most commonplace you can find cockroaches and this is very unsafe and unhealthy since lot’s of cooking going on in there and once they find their way into your pantry and cabinet, it would be hard to keep your food items safe from bacteria, no one roaches in their home hence it is important to get rid of them.
There are few natural remedies that can be applied to get rid of cockroaches in your kitchen cabinet, in this article you will discover how to identify signs of a cockroach infestation and how you can get these pests out of your kitchen.
Signs Of A Cockroach Infestation
Finding one or two roaches is not a sign that your house is infested but it is important to watch out for signs that shows that your house is infested, this will help you get rid of them on time, there are few effective ways that work in getting rid of cockroaches but lookout for the following indications of an infestation.
- Cockroach droppings, they always leave behind dark droppings that appear very similar to ground coffee or black pepper, watch out for seeing this around your kitchen and mostly in your cabinet.
- Watch out for smear marks in areas with high moisture, they tend to produce irregular dark smear marks as they crawk along walls or even when they rest
- Cockroaches leave faeces behind wherever they leave and sleep which leads to an unusual odour and you can easily discover this in your kitchen cabinet.
- Cockroaches will eat anything, they leave behind chew marks and other damages on items other than food packages which you can easily notice as a sign of infestation.
How to Get Rid Of Cockroaches In The Kitchen Cabinet
Different species of cockroaches are living in the home or landscape and having them in your kitchen cabinet could be annoying and unsafe, they seem to always leave their faeces everywhere and the odour can make the kitchen cabinet smell odd which is one of the reasons getting rid of them is essential. These undesirable insects can transmit illness-causing organisms and even leave behind stains and unpleasant odours. Several different techniques can be used to get rid of roaches in your kitchen cabinet, some of these are listed below.
1. Use Cockroach Traps
Trapping is one of the best methods to capture some cockroaches, this method can be used as a monitoring tool to ensure these cockroaches don’t come back, this tool can also be used to detect if you have cockroaches in your kitchen cabinet or not, you can easily search for sticky traps to buy as they are more effective and also there are loads of choices to make when it comes to getting sticky traps, once you get these trap, place it close to the area where you suspect cockroaches are active. You should inspect these traps daily and dispose of in a sealed plastic bag.
2. Utilize Chemicals
The use of chemicals is another common method of getting rid of roaches, boric acids are highly poisonous in getting rid of cockroaches and there are also commercially refillable baits that can be used as well. If you sprinkle about 100 grams of boric acid near the water sources, near the skating boards and around the trash bin but not directly in the kitchen cabinet if food items are kept there, this chemical is enough to kill a whole clan of cockroaches.
Other ways you can get rid of cockroaches is to keep your cabinet cleaned regularly, many women maintain their kitchen cabinet free from cockroaches by keeping garbages and as well as recycles in containers with a tight-fitting lid and avoid piling your kitchen cabinet with cardboards, newspapers and other materials that might harbour cockroaches. Keep your kitchen neat as often as you can and repair leaks on time as roaches are always found in a moist area.
- Eggs are another way to get rid of cockroaches in your kitchen cabinet, just place empty eggshells inside your kitchen cabinet and they would stop from entering your shelves.
- Powdered sugar is effective too, just put some powdered sugar in a bowl and place it in your cabinet and roaches won’t invade your cabinet
- Bay leaves are natural repellent that works too, they do not kill the roaches but hates the smell and won’t come near them, just place these leaves in your cabinet and you can have a roaches free cabinet.
Cockroaches can easily become a free resident of your kitchen and you can see them running around every time you open your kitchen door and this could be really frustrating and gross when they leave their signs on everything, some of the best ways you can get rid of these pests are listed above, ensure to keep your kitchen cabinet clean.